LESI Webinar: COPYRIGHT & CMO:
A LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP
August 2020 – On the 20th August, 9pm (1pm GMT / 9am EST), George Hwang moderated a webinar hosted by Licensing Executives Society International’s Copyright Committee entitled, “Copyright & CMO; A Love-Hate Relationship”. In total, 129 people registered for the webinar event. The panel of illustrious speakers were:
- Candra N. Darusman – Chairman of the Indonesian Musicians Union Federation (FESMI).
- Rene Houareau – Managing Director of Legal & Political Affairs for Bundesverband Musikindustrie e.V. (BVMI).
- Orabhund Panuspatthna – Associate Professor of Law and Director of Legal Aid at Chulalongkorn University.
- Edmund Lam – Chief Executive & Director of the Composers and Authors Society of Singapore Ltd (COMPASS).
- Eu-Yen Tay – Independent legal academic and entrepreneur based in Singapore.
It was a wonderful night of sharing.
We learned that:
1. Thailand has more than 30 CMOs. When the Dept of IP wanted to create only one non-profit making CMO for Thailand, the CMOs of the day insisted that it breaches their constitutional rights. As such, the draft bill was never presented to Parliament.
2. Indonesia’s industry has grown from 1 CMO to 8. Its govt has decided that for now, it will not issue further licences for CMOs.
3. Germany’s music market and EU 2014 Directive. CMO is also growing in importance because of the right to remuneration.
4. Singapore’s music landscape and how one of its CMO’s operate.
5. The lobbying journey of Singapore Nightlife Business Association. Why despite being users, they are against competition.
As the organiser of the webinar, George is grateful to the speakers for spending their time.
About George Hwang LLC – George Hwang LL.C is a boutique law firm specialising in Intellectual Property, Information Technology, Entertainment and Media Law. Its clientele ranges from individuals to MNCs. Its high quality service contributes to its client’s future, change and growth. It is the clarity in clients’ decisions and choices. George can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org